For those of us who travel often, the idea of a standard fitness routine tends to be the heart pumping airport sprint we make trying to catch our last minute flight. We must also face the fact that the time-crunched nature of travel does not lend itself to a well-executed fitness regime.
With this being said, we’ve given ourselves enough excuses. We interviewed the personal trainers from Yogiiza, Acqualina’s team of fitness experts, who have clued us on a few ways we can maximize our fitness routines in minimal time by choosing exercises that incorporate full body movements, use a great deal of energy, incorporate numerous muscle groups, and teach our bodies how to exercise more efficiently.
Ready to get motivated? Find our top three favorite commercial break cardio exercises below.
- To begin, stand tall with your feet shoulder-width apart and lower your hips, mimicking the motion you make when you’re about to sit in a chair.
- Bending your knees, make sure your thighs are parallel with the floor and ensure your knees don’t go beyond your toes.
- Keep your chest up, look straight ahead, then stand up and repeat.
- Do three repetitions of 10.
Few exercises work as many muscles as the squat, making it an excellent, multi-purpose activity useful for toning and tightening your behind, abs, and legs.
- Begin in the push-up position
- Lower both forearms to the ground so that both your elbows and fists are flat to the ground. Your palms should be balled up and directly underneath your shoulders.
- Curl your toes under and engage your abs by tilting your pelvis and pulling your belly button towards your spine.
- Straighten your body, imagining yourself as straight as an arrow
- Flex your abdominals and squeeze your glutes – these are the two major muscle groups worked during this exercise
- Hold for 1 minute while breathing deeply.
Planks help strengthen the midsection, upper-body, and lower-body. They also strengthen the inner core muscles that support your joints and help increase flexibility.
- Assume a pushup position with your arms completely straight
- Lift your right foot off the floor and slowly raise your knee as close to your chest as you can.
- Touch the floor with your right leg, returning back to the starting position.
- Repeat with your left leg.
- Alternate back and forth for 30 seconds
Mountain Climbers help work the core while getting your heart rate up, helping you burn more fat.
Complete your workout with a cool down by walking in place and stretching your muscles, allowing your heart rate to return to normal. After drinking plenty of water to re-hydrate, don’t forget to revel in the fact that you’ve made a great effort to stay fit without having to leave your hotel room!